Bishop Athanasius Schneider, ORC, auxiliary bishop of Karaganda, Kazakhstan, distributes Holy Communion to parishioners kneeling at Assumption Grotto's communion rail during his visit in July 2008. An excerpt from Bishop Schneider's book, "Dominus Est", was published in L'Osservatore Romano under the title: Historical-Liturgical Notes on the Rite of the Eucharist. In a conference this past summer, Bishop Schneider told Grotto-goers that he received over 80 letters of support from bishops around the world, in addition to voluminous mail from priests and others.
Back in mid December, Catholic Culture ran an article about the new Prefect of the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments (CDWDS or simply, CDW). Cardinal Cañizares, who took the helm from Francis Cardinal Arinze, said he favors Communion on the tongue, kneeling.
Cardinal Cañizares answers three questions in the article....
- What does it mean to receive Communion in the mouth?
- What does it mean to kneel before the Most Holy Sacrament?
- What does it mean to kneel during the consecration at Mass?"
The prefect answered:
"It means adoration, it means recognizing the real presence of Jesus Christ in the Eucharist; it means respect and an attitude of faith of a man who prostrates before God because he knows that everything comes from Him, and we feel speechless, dumbfounded, before the wondrousness, his goodness, and his mercy. That is why it is not the same to place the hand, and to receive communion in any fashion, than doing it in a respectful way; it is not the same to receive communion kneeling or standing up, because all these signs indicate a profound meaning. What we have to grasp is that profound attitude of the man who prostrates himself before God, and that is what the Pope wants."
It's a short article, so go read the answers at Cath News: New Prefect favours Communion on the tongue. The original came from an interview granted to the Spanish daily, La Razón
- Kneeling for communion and communion on the tongue:"Profound meaning," says Cañizares (Rorate Caeli) [lots of comments to read through]
- Cardenal Cañizares: «No estoy en contra del Gobierno pero mi deber es enseñar lo que dice la Iglesia» (La Razón) [original interview]
- My label for all posts on Bishop Schneider, including several photo posts made during his visit to the US, and his time at Assumption Grotto.
- Dr. Alcuin Reid Reviews, "Dominus Est" (includes purchasing info)
The obedient are not held captive by Holy Mother Church; it is the disobedient who are held captive by the world!