His Excellency, Allen H. Vigneron, the Archbishop of Detroit, led a prayer vigil in front of an abortion clinic in Westland, Michigan earlier today. More than 500 participated in the vigil which was organized by the Helpers of God's Precious Infants of Michigan. It began with holy Mass at 7:30 A.M. Archbishop Vigneron was the main celebrant at the Mass which took place at St. Michael's in Livonia, Michigan.
See a related article by Joe Kohn at the new Michigan Catholic website.
I will embed some photos here in this post, but the vast majority will be viewable in a slideshow at the bottom. Please note that using photos which are embedded in this blogpost for print, will likely result in low quality or pixelated photos. You will want to visit my SmugMug gallery for this account to get high resolution photos. Pictures may be used for blogs and websites for pro-life purposes, but they may not be sold. Please provide a courtesy link back to this blogpost so people know the origin of the work.
I had many strange problems with my camera today (everything from strange bleaching to blur, and malfuctioning card which kept telling me it wasn't formatted for use). This affected the quality of most photos. What you see has been corrected as best I could with a post-processing software.
First, we will start with photos from the Mass.
The Mass at St. Michael's began at 7:30 A.M.
Archbishop Vigneron is seen during the homily. I thought it opportune to get a photo of him with Our Lady of Perpetual Help looking over his shoulder, since he worked to foster devotion to her in the archdiocese soon after being installed.
In the photo above, with the archbishop, from left to right, is Deacon Gerald Smigell, Rev. Jack Quinlan, Rev. Don Lacuesta, Rev. Raymond Arwady, Rev. William Tindall (Pastor - St. Michael's), and Rev. Greg Tokarski. Off camera, and also concelebrating, was the archbishop's secretary, Rev. Charles Fox. Between funerals, weddings, confessions, and other obligations, it is often difficult for priests to break away for a few hours on Saturdays. I think it is often a challenge for religious sisters, as well, since Saturdays are usually a day to catch up on ordinary obligations.
Below, Archbishop Vigneron elevates our Eucharistic Lord and is seen in consecration of the Precious Blood. Read more about Catholic belief in the Real Presence, and it' biblical origins.
- Helpers of God's Precious Infants of Michigan blog
- See video with voice over from HGPI founder Msgr. Reilly using footage from events there (excellent overview of the model and philosphy used by the "Helpers")
- Videos on post-abortive healing ministry of the Church (Fr. Frank Pavone)
- Post-abortive help at Rachel's Vineyard
- Considering an abortion? Working in a clinic? Sitting on the fence about abortion? Are you "personally opposed", but don't want to tell others what to do? Go to the Priest's for Life index page for photos and videos of abortion procedures and aborted babies. Know what it is.
- Silent no more awareness (post abortive)
- Men who regret their lost fatherhood
- Priests for Life
- Dr. Alveda King