Bishop D'Arcy - who is the Ordinary of the diocese in which Notre Dame resides, has made clear again, that he is not opposed to peaceful or prayerful protests. In fact, the bishop has advocated rallying behind the students of Notre Dame who have asked everyone to let them take the lead. Phil Lawler looks closer Randall Terry's reaction in a commentary: When Pro-life Activitists Harm the Pro-life Cause.
From Life News [emphases mine in bold]:
South Bend, IN (LifeNews.com) -- The Catholic bishop who oversees the part of Indiana that includes Notre Dame University says he is fine with non-violent demonstrations in opposition to the college's decision to allow pro-abortion President Barack Obama to give commencement and receive an honorary degree.
Bishop John M. D’Arcy of Fort Wayne-South Bend has already made his own plans clear to boycott the graduation ceremonies because of Obama's participation.
Now, in comments to the Catholic News Service, his spokesman, Vince LaBarbera, says Bishop D'Arcy is fine with positive expressions of disagreement, but he doesn't want those who oppose the decision to join with those who are harshly attacking the president or Notre Dame.
More than a dozen pro-life student groups have formed an ad hoc coalition called ND Response and several alumni groups are coordinating their own efforts targeted at removing Jenkins or withholding donations to the college.
Those appear to be the effects D'Arcy says are worthy of support -- not protests led by outside groups or people.
The coalition has posted a message from Bishop D’Arcy on its web site saying he is supportive of the coalition’s efforts “or any other prayerful and dignified demonstrations by Notre Dame students.”
Bishop Wenski of the Diocese of Orlando is offering a Mass of Reparation. It would be nice if EWTN could cover the Mass of Reparation - email them and let them know!
From the diocesan website homepage:
As Catholics we are aware of the many shortcomings and transgressions committed against the dignity and sacredness of human life in our world. That is why it is inconceivable that the University of Notre Dame, a Catholic institution of higher learning, should receive and honor anyone who promotes policies that are contradictory to who we are as a people of faith.
As our Holy Father, Pope Benedict XVI stated in his visit to the U.S. last year in reference to Catholic university presidents, "to justify positions that contradict the faith and teaching of the church would obstruct or even betray the university's identity and mission."
Mass of Reparation
May 3 at 6:00 p.m.
Cathedral of St. James
215 N. Orange Avenue
Come and pray with Bishop Wenski for all of our transgressions against the Gospel of Life.
Reparation is the making amends for a wrong done or for an offense against God. By his death on the cross, the Son of God offered his life out of love for the Father to make reparation for our sinful disobedience (CCC #614).
We are obliged to make reparation for personal sins against justice and truth (CCC #2412 and #2487).
I am piggy-backing off of Tom Peter's list at AmP, which is cobbled accordingly:
I was going to compile this list, but Catherine Harmon at Catholic World Report did it first. Here it is:Links and recent headlines:
Bishops’ statements on Notre Dame’s invitation to Barack Obama (my additions in bold)
- Bishop John D’Arcy, Fort Wayne-South Bend
- Cardinal Francis George, Chicago
- Cardinal Daniel DiNardo, Galveston-Houston
- Archbishop Timothy Dolan, Milwaukee (--> NYC)
- Archbishop John Nienstedt, St. Paul-Minneapolis
- Archbishop Eusebius Beltran, Oklahoma City
- Bishop Edward Slattery, Tulsa
- Archbishop John Myers, Newark
- Archbishop Alfred Hughs, New Orleans
- Bishop Joseph Martino, Scranton
- and Auxiliary Bishop John Dougherty, Scranton
- Bishop Thomas Doran, Rockford, Ill.
- Bishop Thomas Olmsted, Phoenix
- Bishop Gregory Aymond, Austin
- Bishop Robert Lynch, St. Petersburg
- Bishop R. Walker Nickless, Sioux City
- Bishop Kevin Rhoades, Harrisburg, Pa.
- Bishop William E. Lori, Bridgeport, CT
- Bishop Robert Morlino, Madison WI
- Bishop George Murry, S.J., Youngstown, OH
- Bishop William Higi, Lafayette, IN
- Bishop Anthony Taylor of Little Rock, AR
- Archbishop Jose Gomez, San Antonio, TX
- and Auxiliary Bishop Oscar Cantu
- Bishiop Jerome Listecki, La Crosse, WI
- Archbishop Edwin O'Brien, Baltimore MD
- Bishop Alex Sample, Marquette MI
- Archbishop Daniel Buechlein, Indianapolis
- Bishop Robert Baker, Birmingham AL
- Bishop Samuel Aquila, Fargo ND
- Bishop Gerald Barbarito, Palm Beach FL
- Bishop Fabian Brukeswitz, Lincoln NE
- Bishop Richard Stika, Knoxville TN
- Bishop Robert Finn, Kansas City
- Bishop Joseph Latino, Jackson MS
- Bishop Leonard Blair, Toledo OH
- Bishop Gerald Gettelfinger, Evansville IN
- Bishop George Lucas, Springfield IL
- Archbishop Daniel Pilarczyk, Cincinnati OH
- Bishop Thomas Wenski, Orlando FL
- Bishop Robert Vasa, Baker OR
- Bishop Paul Coakley, Salina KS
- Did Notre Dame Prez fly to Washington to meet Obama? AmP explores....
- "We are at War!": Bishop Finn Delivers Rousing Clarion Call to the "Fight for Life" in America (LSN)
- ND President Jenkins: "We Are Tremendously Proud" to Honor Obama at Notre Dame (LSN)
- Notre Dame Expects Obama to Wear Prayer to Virgin Mary on Chest When He Accepts Honorary Degree (CNS)
- NotreDameScandal.com has accumulated nearly 330,000 online signatures protesting Notre Dame's invitation of Barack Obama, who is at odds with Catholic teaching on the sanctity of life.
- Notre Dame Response is a student coalition out of Notre Dame asking for the leadership role in all activities and peaceful protests.
- Project Sycamore is an organization which tracks the loss of Catholic identity at Notre Dame.
Te Deum Laudamus! HomeThe obedient are not held captive by Holy Mother Church; it is the disobedient who are held captive by the world!