Friday, September 14, 2007

Beauty and Splendor in the Solemn High Mass at Grotto

History was made tonight at Assumption Grotto and on this day in many parishes throughout the world. Many thanks to Fr. Eduard Perrone (celebrant), who has so longed for this Mass, Fr. Wolfgang Seitz, ORC (deacon), and Grotto's associate - Fr. John Bustamante (subdeacon) and most of all to almighty God for this gift. I would be remiss to neglect a kind thanks to our Altar Servers who have worked so hard at memorizing and, Lord knows, hours in training at Grotto with Father. They did a nice job.

Also, a tremendous thanks to the many who came and filled Assumption Grotto so well on a Friday evening and joined us for a Friday, meatless spaghetti dinner afterwards. I met several people who came thinking they would not much care for this Mass, but ended up being as blown away as I was the first time I experienced it. Others already knew the treasures found in this Mass. A collective sigh of relief is an understatement.

Enjoy the pictures, and while you are at it, tell us if you assisted at such a Mass anyplace in the world, and your thoughts. Was it your first time? Did you grow up with this Mass, or is it something you never experienced? Talk about it here!

I have been quite emotional over the last week in anticipation of this, going to bed each night with the widest smile as I fell asleep. It comes after a period of uncertainty which began with the news leak of the motu proprio some time ago. I fell into the trap of mourning the inability to pray the Pater Noster with my own lips without comprehending that I could do so interiorly, from the depth of my soul as the priest chants it. I wondered if I would like it, and felt a sadness over the thought of losing the full Latin Novus Ordo. Grotto still has what is probably among the most sacred and solemn Novus Ordo masses in the world, even when in the vernacular, which includes some Latin. However, after suspending my judgments until I could actually experience it over a period of time - setting aside all of the cliches and negativity that caused me to be apprehensive, I love it.

For me personally, the Latin Novus Ordo was merely a stepping stone for something so much more magnificent. I cried something terrible this morning as I watched the Mass on EWTN and upon probing my innermost feelings discovered a hidden-longing for this Mass, even though I was too young to have ever experienced it. My only recollections of Mass in my early years, were the Novus Ordo, and I was born in 1962. The only thing I can think of is that I had developed pre-conceived notions, based on all the "pooh-poohing" that has taken place for 40+ years, without looking closely at it myself. I tell you that the deeper I probe, the more I love it.

What more can I possibly say?
























Te Deum Laudamus! Home

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great comments on the Holy Mass and beautiful pictures. Thanks. How about Father Peronne's homily - I thought it was profound. Do you plan to put it on the the blog as he made excellent points as to the impact the Tridentine Holy Mass will have on all aspects of the Catholic Church. Thanks again. Deacon Joe

Diane said...

I am already planning on requesting his sermon, but it always helps to know I'm not the only one wanting it online.

Ottaviani said...

Does this mean the Latin Novus Ordo will now become the a sung mass in the extraordinary rite?!

Diane said...

Fr. Perrone announced that each Sunday, in place of the Latin Novus Ordo at the 9:30am timeslot, we will have a High Mass. At Grotto, it will undoubtedly be sung.

Fr. Perrone also announced that the 7:30am Mon - Sat Mass will be of the Extraordinary Form. The 7:30am slot is typically his Mass. We had an 8:30 which was temporarily suspended due to priests being out, but that may come back. If it does, I believe it will be a Latin Novus Ordo. That also leaves the 7:00pm daily Mas a Novus Ordo in the vernacular, and a reverent one at that.

The 6:30am Sunday Mass, the Noon, and the 4:00pm Saturday Mass all remain Novus Ordo's in the vernacular. These typically have some Latin, such as the Kyrie, Gloria, Sanctus, and Angus Dei.

Ma Beck said...

I literally have tears in my eyes for you and Detroit.

Alleluia!

Long live the Pope!

Adrian said...

I do not post this as apprehension. The extraordinary form of the Mass is breathtaking to witness and participate but I do have great concern over the different calander for readings it follows, as mentioned in the Grotto News on 9/16. Do I have to choose which camp I am in to have a liturgical flow. I mean if I go to the 9:30 one week and the noon the next will I be off step in the cycle of readings? Also at the social after Mass those who go to the different Masses can not discuss the readings. It is a nice feeling when I go to bed at night to think every Catholic in the world heard the same Gospel reading that day...but what about now? I feel like I have to choose which Mass to follow. Hopefully I am ignorant to something that Fr. Perrone can help me understand. So we can all be on the same page.

Diane said...

Interesting comment and question. Many may be unaware of Grotto's year-round, weekly BBQ social in our school gym so non Grotto-goers may not understand that point.

With only few exceptions, some very fine and dedicated parishioners BBQ hot dogs, hamburgers and sausages, then bring them into the gymn where they are sold along with other staples like soda, chips, etc. Many commute to Grotto from great distances for the experience and it is not uncommon to have people remain for hours after Mass. This is especially true given the many seminars and activities that take place on Sunday afternoons.

I am working on an answer to this as it is a good question, put very respectfully.

David said...

Diane,

Do you have any idea why Fr. Perrone hasn't been wearing a maniple at the 7:30 am Mass (at least on 9/15 and 9/19)? If he is in need of some maniples in various colors I can try to locate some on the internet.

David

Diane said...

Hi David,

Father does have some maniples missing, but we have a seamstress who specializes in vestments working on them. Thanks for your kind offer.

Anonymous said...

There were two things I have noticed in the Missae Solemnis on Friday, Sept. 14, 2007 (Feast of the Triumph of the Holy Cross). First thing I noticed were the order of the candlesticks on the high altar. The Low Mass candlesticks should be closest to the tabernacle, but they were in between the High Mass candlesticks. Switch the Low Mass candlesticks and the inner High Mass candlesticks, and the arrangement should be fine. The diagram below should demonstrate. Please excuse the crudity. The capital "I" represents a High Mass candlestick, and a lower-case "i" represents a Low Mass candlestick.

Arrangement on 9/14
IIiI IiII

Should be:

IIIi iIII

I noticed that the deacon and subdeacon in the Mass were not wearing maniples. There are plenty of sites online that should have them if you have none. Other than that, it was great to see the Traditional Latin Mass return to the Grotto.

Anonymous said...

"I cried something terrible this morning as I watched the Mass on EWTN and upon probing my innermost feelings discovered a hidden-longing for this Mass, even though I was too young to have ever experienced it. My only recollections of Mass in my early years, were the Novus Ordo, and I was born in 1962."

Did your mother attend Mass on Sunday while pregnant with you? Did you attend Mass with your family after you were born?

If yes, then you also did attend and experience it (although you might not have a quickly recallable memory of it). Perhaps as you watched EWTN you connected with that two-plus year duration (given that Mass changes would have happened after Dec 4, 1963 Sacrosanctum Concilium).

If playing Mozart to children in the womb has an effect, why not the Mass?

Diane K said...

I've actually thought about that possibility - too young to remember, or in the womb.

But, I was in a parish that was always on the "leading edge" of innovation. Each step of the way, I recall disappointment deep in my heart that I suppressed because I thought I had to.