UPDATED - January 23:
- January 22: Cardinal Schonborn acknowledges private audience was about his visit to Medjugorje. He also acknowledges that there will be a new Commission. And, he acknowledges that there "are certainly some open questions" on Medjugorje.
- January 19: Vatican Radio provides it's own interpretation of the faxed letter.
- See full chronology of events on this issue here
Posted on the Diocese of Mostar Duvno website, in English, Croatian and Italian, is this note, which lends credibility to the Petrus report that Pope Benedict had ordered Cardinal Schonborn into line on Medjugorje.
First the introduction, then the content of the note:
THE LETTER OF CARD. SCHÖNBORN TO BISHOP PERIĆDiocese of Mostar Duvno Homepage
The diocesan Bishop of Mostar-Duvno, Msgr. Ratko Perić, sent a personal letter on 2 January, to His Eminence Cardinal Christoph Schönborn, Archbishop of Vienna, after his stay in Medjugorje for the New Year 2010, and on the same day a communique was released expressing his surprise regarding the Cardinal's statements and his visit to Medjugorje. Upon his return to Vienna, the Cardinal has had several interviews in various media. In an interview with Orientierung, on 10 January, he expressed his opinion „that he did not violate the right of a Bishop and of a Cardinal!“
In mid January, the Cardinal participated, as a member, at the Plenary Session of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith and on the morning of 15 January he was received in a private audience by Pope Benedict XVI. On the afternoon of the same day, the Cardinal sent a letter in German from Rome to the Bishop of Mostar by fax. The part of the letter which refers to the Cardinal's visit to Medjugorje follows:
Rome, 15 January 2010The Cardinal ends his letter with the following words:
Excellency! Dear brother in Christo,
I have received your recent letter dated 2 January. I regret if you have the impression that my pilgrimage to Medjugorje did a disservice to peace. Rest assured that this was not my intention.
The Mother of God and her divine Son will certainly lead all things towards that which is good. In this trust, I greet you fraternally united in the Lord and remain,
+ Christoph Card. Schönborn O.P
Recent Statements from the Diocese of Mostar-Duvno:
- Statement of Bishop Peric on the visit by Cardinal Schonborn (January 2, 2010)
- Questionable Games Surrounding the "Great Sign" (Bishop Peric - December 2009)
- September 26, 2009 Statement of Bishop Peric
- Diocese of Tuscany issues statement to priests on Medjugorje (2007)
- Position of Bishop Peric (updated in 2007)
Te Deum Laudamus! Home
The obedient are not held captive by Holy Mother Church; it is the disobedient who are held captive by the world!