Friday, May 2, 2008

Novena to the Holy Spirit (starts today); and Rosary with the Pope this Saturday (Noon)

I just want to get a quick word out that Pope Benedict will be praying the Rosary on Saturday Noon EST and it will be aired on EWTN. Please join him in reciting a Rosary and if you can't watch it, try to stop what you are doing around that time and offer a one with him.






Today also marks the first day of the Novena to the Holy Spirit for Pentecost. Don't fret if you miss the first day or two, just join in regardless. Perhaps your Guardian Angel covered for you!



DAY ONE: The Holy Spirit

Holy Spirit! Lord of light ! From Thy clear celestial height, Thy pure beaming radiance give! Only one thing is important, eternal salvation. Only one thing, therefore, is to be feared, sin. Sin is the result of ignorance, weakness, and indifference. The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of Light, of Strength, and of Love. With His sevenfold gifts, He enlightens the mind, strengthens the will, and inflames the heart with love of God. To ensure our salvation, we ought to invoke the Divine Spirit daily, for "The Spirit helpeth our infirmity. We know not what we should pray for as we ought. But the Spirit Himself asketh for us. "



Prayer
Almighty and eternal God, Who hast vouchsafed to regenerate us by water and the Holy Spirit, and hast given us forgiveness of all our sins, vouchsafe to send forth from heaven upon us Thy sevenfold Spirit, the Spirit of Wisdom and Understanding, the Spirit of Counsel and Fortitude, the Spirit of Knowledge and Piety, and fill us with the Spirit of Holy Fear. Amen.



Recite the following prayers...

Our Father...

Hail Mary...

Glory Be... (7 times)


Act of Consecration to the Holy Spirit
O Holy Spirit,Divine Spirit of light and love,I consecrate to Thee my understanding,heart, and will,my whole being for time and eternity.May my understanding be always submissiveto Thy heavenly inspirations,and to the teaching of the Catholic Church,of which Thou are the infallible guide;may my heart be ever inflamedwith love of God and of my neighbor;may my willbe ever conformed to the divine will;and may my whole lifebe a faithful imitation of the lifeand virtues of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ,to whom with the Father and Theebe honour and glory forever. Amen.

PRAYER FOR THE SEVEN GIFTS
O Lord Jesus Christ, Who, before ascending into heaven, didst promise to send the Holy Ghost to finish Thy work in the souls of Thy Apostles and Disciples, deign to grant the same Holy Spirit to me, that He may perfect in my soul the work of Thy grace and Thy love.

Grant me the Spirit of Wisdom that I may despise the perishable things of this world and aspire only after the things that are eternal,

the Spirit of Understanding to enlighten my mind with the light of Thy divine truth,

the Spirit of Counsel that I may ever choose the surest way of pleasing God and gaining Heaven,

the Spirit of Fortitude that I may bear my cross with Thee, and that I may overcome with courage all the obstacles that oppose my salvation,

the Spirit of Knowledge that I may know God and know myself and grow perfect in the science of the Saints, the

Spirit of Piety that I may find the service of God sweet and amiable,

the Spirit of Fear that I may be filled with a loving reverence towards God, and may dread in any way to displease Him.

Mark me, dear Lord, with the sign of Thy true disciples and animate me in all things with Thy Spirit.



Te Deum Laudamus! Home