There is only one problem: It is Notre Dame - a Catholic institution and Obama has gone out of his way to advance a culture of death agenda which is contrary to the Mission of the Church. Just having this President at any official function at a Catholic institution is completely scandalous (meaning, it leads others into error).
See the scoop at LSN: Catholic Notre Dame University to Give Obama Honorary Degree on May 17, Against USCCB Policy
You can make your voice heard on this matter. Find out more at NotreDameScandal.com. Also worth reading is the combox in this post at Fr. Z's blog. EDIT 21-Mr-09: Tom Peters has good coverage as well at American Papist.
We can only hope that Bishop D'Arcy follows Bishop Martino's lead in handling a similar problem at Misericordia, which is ongoing, starting with a statement of "absolute disapproval". It doesn't matter if he is the President of the United States or not.
If you still don't see the problem, this may help you. This is just a sampling. It's like he is going out of his way to select pro-abortion Catholics and other Catholics who have advanced things contrary to Catholic teaching.
- Obama appointed the most aggressive pro-abort Catholic politician, Kathleen Sebelius (who has collected funds from George Tiller - the infamous late-term abortionist in Kansas. )
- Obama Picks Defenders of Child Porn., Euthanasia & Abortion for Justice Dept.
- More on Obama's pics for Justice Dept
- Pro-Life Leaders Respond to Obama's Plan to Revoke Conscience Regulations
- Pro-Abortion Judge Named Obama's First Fed. Court Pick
- Obama Selects Yet another Pro-Abortion "Catholic" for Leading Office
- Obama Revokes Abortion Funding Policy, Will Fund Overseas Abortions with Taxpayer Money
- Vatican Denounces Obama Administration's Decision to Fund Pro-Abortion Groups
- Obama Unleashes Taxpayer Funds for Embryo-Destructive Research
Te Deum Laudamus! Home
The obedient are not held captive by Holy Mother Church; it is the disobedient who are held captive by the world!