Bishop Martino is at it again. This time he is taking on so-called "catholic" groups which are perverting Catholic teaching in an effort to shift the Catholic vote into the Obama column. He has done this in two places:
1) Catholic Light (pdf) - the diocesan paper (Oct 23, 2008)
2) A video which calls out those groups and their errors.
In left sidebar of paper is the following lead-in:
The Catholic Church and the Issues
In this election cycle, many public misrepresentations about Catholic teaching on the
life issues, particularly abortion, have surfaced.
Certain groups and individuals have used their own erroneous interpretations of Church documents,particularly the U.S. Bishops’ statement on Faithful Citizenship, to justify their political positions and to contradict the Church’s actual teaching on the centrality of abortion, euthanasia and embryonic stem cell research.
The faithful of the Diocese of Scranton are hereby reminded that partisan political groups such as Catholic United, Catholics in Alliancefor the Common Good, and other like-minded groups and individuals who make statements about Catholic teaching do not speak with the same authority or authenticity as their bishop.
This issue of The Catholic Light contains several articles that clarify what the Church actually teaches about the issues and the concept of the common good.
There are several great articles in that same edition.
Now for the video. This should be broadcast everywhere. Dioceses should pick it up and put it on their own websites.
- Scranton Bishop Blasts "Catholic" Groups (Brian Burch at CatholicVote.com)
- Scranton Bishop Releases Video Slamming Groups “Treading on the Name Catholic” with False Voting Doctrine (Catholic Exchange)
- Bishop Martino of Scranton, PA: "This is madness, people!" (Te Deum)
Te Deum Laudamus! Home
The obedient are not held captive by Holy Mother Church; it is the disobedient who are held captive by the world!