Pray for our Anglican brethren, those who currently labor over staying with the Church of England (C of E) or turning to Rome. May they act on that grace and come home.
Damian Thompson of the UK Telegraph reports in his blog, Holy Smoke:
A couple of hours ago, the Church of England decisively severed itself from its Catholic roots. By voting to ordain women bishops without significant safeguards for traditionalists, it reasserted its identity as a Protestant Church. Whether it will be a liberal or conservative Protestant denomination remains to be seen. But any hope of unity with Rome and the Orthodox has gone forever.
Except for those with the courage to cross over on their own. There have been some very interesting developments, including secret talks between many Anglican bishops and Rome. Liberal UK Catholic bishops were by-passed altogether (I suppose the Anglicans didn't need any more namby-pamby).
- Jesus is all over the place, says Rowan (Damian Thompson) - when you read this you will understand why the C of E is looking a little.....disoriented!
- Liberal Catholic bishops kept in the dark over secret talks (Damian Thompson)
- Anglicans push "super bishops" to avoid split (The Age - AU)
- The Telegraph: Anglican bishops in secret Vatican summit (Fr. Z)
- Anglican leaders face battle over women bishops (Reuters)
The obedient are not held captive by Holy Mother Church; it is the disobedient who are held captive by the world!.