Saturday, February 5, 2011

Dear Mr. Weatherman....I just got done shoveling 6 inches of your "light dusting"


The winds of the "Great Blizzard of 2011"  had left very little snow on the BBQ  in my corner of my small yard -  perhaps 2-3 inches at best.  Needless to say, today's heavy snowfall, without any wind, floated gracefully down into neatly stacked piles now about 8-10 inches high.

Dear Mr. Weatherman .... I just got done shoveling about 6 inches of the "dusting" you predicted earlier today. 

Upon heading out the door this morning, I vaguely recall hearing on the radio that counties south of my location were going to get 2-4 inches of snow, but that we would only see a "dusting" to an inch in Macomb County. 

We had our monthly Carmelite meeting at Assumption Grotto today.  After it ended, I went into the Adoration Chapel for a brief time at about 12:45.  There wasn't even a hint that snow was about to fall.  When I came out about 1:10, there was already a half-inch of snow on the ground and visibility was... well... kind of like snow was coming down about 2 inches/hour.   I got home - some 6 miles from Grotto after stopping for lunch and dropping off a friend, and was rather shocked to be shoveling over 3 inches of snow at about 2:30.  It's now just after 6:30 and it is still coming down, but radar shows it soon to be ending.... I think. 

The National Weather Service updated it's Winter Weather Advisory to include Macomb County, and according to them, I'm suppose to get 2-4 inches of snow.  There's only one problem... I already have over 5 inches, perhaps 6.  Perhaps the NWS will update their totals.... after it's done. 

Here is Sean Ash of local ABC-affiliate, WXYZ.  What's a weather guy to do...



...If only the jet streams, localized wind directions, and other variables would obey the computer math models. 


UPDATE:  It appears to be more like 4.5 inches - less than the 6 I estimated, but more than the "dusting to an inch" - LOL. 


For interesting news items I don't have time to blog on, check out my Twitter Feed: @TeDeumBlog

The obedient are not held captive by Holy Mother Church; it is the disobedient who are held captive by the world!
Note: The recommended links below are automatically generated by the tool, so they are not necessarily related content.