This post will be updated with more reactions than I have listed below, so check back later tonight.
I'm blogging from my iPhone on my lunch hour, so I am very limited in what I can do.
It has been traditional for the bishops to elect the current VP to the presidency. Three years ago, Cardinal George ascended from that role with about 88% of the vote on the first ballot.
Bishop Kicanis, the current VP should have been a shoe-in. But concerns were raised in Catholic media and blogs in recent days whether he had the right vision (considered a protege of the late Cardinal Bernardin). He was also mired in controversy, much of which I did not blog on because I was unfamiliar with it, and him.
I prayed last night that God's will be done, and offered many impromptu Hail Marys since then.
It took 3 ballots. Archbishop Dolan of NY won out over Kicanis 128-111.
Bishop Kicanis was not permitted to have the VP seat again, so his name was removed from the 9 remaining candidates, which included Detroit's Archbishop Vigneron and Denver's Archbishop Chaput. It was Bishop Kurtz who won out over Archbishop Chaput for the VP seat.
Here are a few posts with more background and reactions.
- Cardinal O'Connor's Revenge (George Neumayr - Catholic World Report) New
- Archbishop Dolan Speaks (NC Register) New
- Abp. Dolan's latest service will be a great one (Ed Peters, JD, JCD)
- US Bishops break precedent, elect Archbishop Dolan as President (Catholic Culture)
- Bishop's Shocker: Tim Wins (Whispers)
- Getting to know Archbishop Dolan and Bishop Kurtz (NC Register)
- Shock & Awe: Archbishop Dolan Elected USCCB President (AmP at Catholic Vote)
- Church Analyst: Election of Archbishop Dolan signals desire for strong leader (CNA)
Here's a pic of a tweet by Italian jouranlist Paolo Rodari with an interesting note. Rodari says, "Also in the Vatican great surprise for Dolan's election... in the secretary of state were waiting for Kicanas"
The "liberal" wing is not happy. That's a pretty good indicator that the right thing happened. Here are voices from traditionally dissident sources.
- Catholycs for Equality threw the ultimate nutty New
- Tuscon's Kicanis loses to NY's Dolan (America Magazine)
- Hey - you know it's a good decision when the NY Times is throwing a nutty
- One reaction at dotCommonweal
- USA Today: Upset victor N.Y. Archbishop Dolan a smiling force for conservatives
Te Deum Laudamus! Home
The obedient are not held captive by Holy Mother Church; it is the disobedient who are held captive by the world!Note: The recommended links below are automatically generated by the tool, so they are not necessarily related content.