- Cardinal Marc Oullet of Montreal was named Prefect for the Congregation for Bishops, taking over for Cardinal Giovanni Battista Re. Oulett will have an opportunity to shape the episcopacy throughout the world, but should be particularly influential in anglophone and french-speaking countries. He is closely aligned with Pope Benedict, a vocal opponent of abortion, and brought the FSSP to Montreal (read that, "'Tridentine' friendly").
- Archbishop Rino Fisichella who has been heading the Pontifical Academy for Life is shifting over to to a new dicastry, not yet created, which will be called: Pontifical Council for the Promotion of the New Evangelization.
- Bishop Kurt Koch of Basel, Switzerland will take the helm at the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity - a post held by Cardinal Walter Kasper.
- Cardinal Ouellet appointed as head of Congregation for Bishops (CNA)
- Kingmaker (Whispers)
- Important appointments made by Pope Benedict (Fr. Z)
- Pope appoints priest-doctor as president of Pontifical Academy for Life (CNA)
- Cardinal Ouellet to Bishops; Archbishop Migliore to Poland (Edward Pentin)
- Cardinal Kasper retires; succeeded by Swiss bishop (CWN)
- Vatican's permanent UN observer made Apostolic Nuncio to Poland (CNA)
- Pope appoints Archbishop Fisichella to lead Council for New Evangelization (CNA)
Pope Benedict XVI laid out the terms for Bishop Walter Mixa's rehabilitation during a private audience with the 69-year-old prelate, during which Mixa again apologized for his mistakes, the Vatican said.
Benedict, for his part, "expressed the hope that his (Mixa's) request for forgiveness finds open ears and hearts" among the German faithful, the Vatican said
And, among changes here in the US yesterday we saw Bishop William Skylstad of Spokane Washington retired. The Holy Father shifted Bishop Blase Cupich of Rapid City to that spot.
Te Deum Laudamus! Home
The obedient are not held captive by Holy Mother Church; it is the disobedient who are held captive by the world!