Note: I appreciate the many kind words of support and prayers. I can tell you that we, the family, are receiving many graces to cope with this turn of events, and I know my mother is receiving even more.
I am suspending regular posting for obvious reasons right now, but will try to provide updates daily, or when applicable at the bottom of this post.******Original Post*******
I'm home for a few minutes and just wanted to provide an update while I was here.
I left the hospital after they transferred my mother to a regular room, hoping she would continue to recover there. However, soon after I got back from 4:00pm Mass at Grotto, she suffered a second heart attack and is now in critical condition.
She has many things that are wrong, among which, are two valves that are leaking, one of them badly. She is not a candidate for surgery given her poor kidney function and low blood pressure.
I am very grateful to Fr. John for not only having come up there yesterday to give her the Anointing, but he came back this evening to give her the Apostolic Pardon. He was as surprised as we were, to see her sudden turn after speaking with her yesterday.
Please keep her, and us, in your prayers at this difficult time.
***Update 1:30am....Her BP came up to a reasonable level and was holding; her heart rate dropped to the upper limits of normal range. We decided to come home and get some rest. I'm so glad I went to 4:00pm afternoon Mass at Grotto on Saturday. All I can say is that she is getting splendid care by the doctors and nurses who are doing all that they can to see if she can pull through this event. If she does, we are led to believe that the valve problem may be helped with some meds.
I trust in the Lord.
***Update June 15, 2009 - 9:44 PM ....... Mom is still holding her own. She has several challenges, but continues to deal with low blood pressure, which they are keeping up out of the danger zone with several meds. They are attempting to ween her off of these to see how she does. It appears she has pancreatitis, perhaps from a new drug she started to bring down her uric acid which was causing chronic, and acute, gout flare-ups. This seems to be improving somewhat. Unfortunately, we learned that after Saturday's 6:00pm heart attack, the heart murmurs have worstened. In fact, all four valves are now "leaking", two of them badly. She cannot have the surgery to repair them. She is still on a respirator which they will attempt to ween her off of as well.
***Update June 15, 2009 - 9:44 PM ..... I provide this update out of love and affection for the many checking in out of care an concern. We are grateful for the prayers and support. Doctors say that Mom's condition is about the same, but in reality, it has worstened. Her body is sending us many messages to let her go and she has told us many times not to leave her connected to machines. Today, we will talk to doctors about how to let her go peacefully and comfortably. Please keep my mother Rose, and all of us in your prayers. We are benefitting greatly from the graces those prayers are bringing, with remarkable strength, unity, and a calm sense of rationality to do the right thing for her. This will probably be my last update in this post.
Remember, O gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help or sought thy intercession was left unaided.
Inspired by this confidence, I fly to thee, O Virgin of Virgins and my Mother; to thee I come, before thee I kneel, sinful and sorrowful; O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy, hear and answer me. Amen.
Te Deum Laudamus! Home