Wednesday, March 13, 2013

It's Cardinal Bergoglio of Argentina - Now, Pope Francis (Assisi or Xavier?)

Well, this is very interesting.  The election of Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio - a Jesuit, now Pope Francis I, will have many people busy trying to learn more about him.  One thing I felt when he was on that balcony, was this was a profoundly humble man.  Now, we will see where God wants to take the Church.  Each pope leaves his mark.  My hope is that the advances made by Pope-emeritus Benedict XVI on helping us to better understand Jesus, the real Vatican II, and the Liturgy.  All of that can be maintained while focusing on the great mission of evangelization.

Francis of Assisi, or Francis Xavier (Co-founder of Society of Jesus)? 

He wasn't on the balcony one minute before I found a profile for Pope Francis in wikipedia.  Now, the article says he chose the name Francis after St. Francis of Assisi.  But other commentators have pointed out that we need to wait for an explanation because it could be St. Francis Xavier, co-founder of the Society of Jesus.  I suspect it is the latter.

UPDATE: According to Fr. Rosica, speaking for the Vatican, the Holy Father chose the name after Francis of Assisi.







I think he could have chosen from different stoles. I have always loved this stole.  It's the one Pope Benedict wore.


He asked for people to pray for him before the blessing.



Some of the Cardinal Electors looking over the balcony after the Pope went back in.


Cardinal Pell and Cardinal George.  I'm not sure what to make of Cardinal George's expression, but I think these guys have to be very, very tired.






We have anew Pope!

This calls for... Te Deum Laudamus!!! On Steroids (Berlioz)



For interesting news items I don't have time to blog on, check out my Twitter Feed: @TeDeumBlog

Te Deum Laudamus! Home

The obedient are not held captive by Holy Mother Church;
it is the disobedient who are held captive by the world!

- Diane M. Korzeniewski

Note: The recommended links below are automatically generated by the tool, so they are not necessarily related content.