Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Detroit's Msgr. Monforton Appointed Bishop of Steubenville

Msgr. Jeffrey Montforton (front, left) led the November 15, 2008 prayer vigil for the
Helper's of God's Precious Infants of Michigan in front abortion clinics on the 8 Mile Blvd in Detroit.


I saw the news this morning, but am only now able to pass it along.
- [Pope Benedict] Appointed Msgr. Jeffrey Marc Monforton of the clergy of the archdiocese of Detroit, U.S.A., pastor of the parish of St. Andrew in Rochester, as bishop of Steubenville (area 15,309, population 538,000, Catholics 38,900, priests 118, permanent deacons 6, religious 100), U.S.A. The bishop-elect was born in Detroit in 1963 and ordained a priest in 1994. He has served in pastoral care in numerous parishes, and has worked as professor and later rector of the Sacred Heart Seminary.

While rector at SHMS, Msgr. Montforton led one of the Helpers of God's Precious Infants of Michigan prayer vigils (pictured above).   The apostolate normally asks for involvement from the bishops and monsignors, and they always generously respond.  We had heavy downpours that day.  As is customary, after praying the Rosary in front of the abortion clinic, there is a moment of silence, most kneeling.  Monsignor Montforton didn't hesitate to kneel in that wet, muddy grass - in that red-lined cassock.  Unfortunately, I had already left because I could not keep my camera dry, so I did not get a shot of it.  You can see other pictures in my post for the November 15, 2008 vigil.

I don't know him personally, but someone else who does told me that he is very devout, faithful, and good-natured.

Rocco Palmo, doing what he does best (discussing episcopal appointments), did everything I had planned on doing in my post, but packages it much better than I could have. I was going to mention the Detroit being a bishop factory, but Rocco beat me to it.   Go read his very good post on Bishop-designate Montforton.

EDIT: Here is the Diocese of Steubenville press release.

For interesting news items I don't have time to blog on, check out my Twitter Feed: @TeDeumBlog

Te Deum Laudamus! Home

The obedient are not held captive by Holy Mother Church;
it is the disobedient who are held captive by the world!

- Diane M. Korzeniewski

Note: The recommended links below are automatically generated by the tool, so they are not necessarily related content.