Wednesday, April 8, 2015

I dumped cable TV… and I'm happy, thus far.

I've been thinking about it for a year, but it wasn't until I bought a Winegard FlatWave Amped Indoor Amplified HDTV Antenna (FL5500Y) and saw the great reception I got for all network channels in my area (great for football season) that I began to think, maybe - just maybe, I can dump cable TV.

I then picked up a Roku 3 Streaming Media Player (original model), which was reduced due to an enhancement in newer Roku 3's, that I did not need (like voice control).  In the past month, I found myself going to the Roku box and using my over-the-air, free digital TV more frequently than I was my cable TV.  I used it only to watch a few channels.  Years ago, Comcast shoved me into what was then the Digital 2 package in order to get EWTN.  Well, thankfully, EWTN is available for free on the Roku box - live.

Quite honestly, I get better reception of EWTN streaming live through a Roku box than I ever did get through cable TV. I don't know if the movies we see on Saturday nights will be available, as those were not always available on the web. But, I was never a fan of watching those movies split between two Saturday nights, which they always did.  So, I didn't watch them.  I usually buy the DVD's or look for the movies on Netflix or YouTube.

In any event, this has been a real adventure for me because I knew next to nothing about this.  After some friends on Facebook asked questions and wanted to know how it was going for me, I decided to chronicle this particular adventure in a dedicated blog: Cord-Cutting Adventure.

Will I stick to it? Follow me there to find out. I share some details in my first post there so check it out. I'll be sharing what I learn along the way (I have much to learn); and I'll be sharing the ups and downs.

For interesting news items I don't have time to blog on, check out my Twitter Feed: @TeDeumBlog

Te Deum Laudamus! Home

The obedient are not held captive by Holy Mother Church;
it is the disobedient who are held captive by the world!

- Diane M. Korzeniewski

Note: The recommended links below are automatically generated by the tool, so they are not necessarily related content.